Free Week 2 Prediction: Tar Heels vs Pirates Odds
Looking for North Carolina Tar Heels vs. East Carolina Panthers free picks? Week 2 betting sees the Tar Heels taking on the Panthers on Saturday September 8 at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium in Greenville, North Carolina. Cappers Picks provides complimentary handicapping picks all NCAA football season long so stay tuned for more FREE college football predictions like this North Carolina vs. East Carolina free pick.
College Football Handicapping: Week 2
(0-1) North Carolina Tar Heels vs. East Carolina Pirates (0-1)
Date: Saturday, September 8 2018
Time: 3:30 pm EST
Venue: Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium, Greenville, North Carolina
NCAA Football Spread: ECU +17
NCAA Betting Total: 60
Live CFB Odds
Updated Sportsbook Bonuses For Today
The North Carolina Tar Heels opened their 2018 college football season with a road matchup against the California Golden Bears. The team managed to make it a one-touchdown loss, 24-17, but only after digging themselves into an early hole by falling 0-7 after the first quarter and 17-0 going into the half.
The East Carolina Pirates also fell in Week 1 of the new season. They fell 28-23 to the North Carolina A&T Aggies, and while any loss to an FCS program looks bad, this one is almost justifiable considering this is the third year in a row that the Aggies have bested an FBS team.
North Carolina Tar Heels
The Tar Heels have struggled on the road as of late. Dating back to last season, the team is 0-5 straight up in its last five away from the comfy confines of their home stadium.
Against the Pirates, North Carolina will look to kill that trend.
In order to do it, there must be a concerted effort to get to the quarterback. Reid Herring tossed the ball an incredible 65 times last week despite also having his playmakers go for 29 rushing attempts. What does this mean? It means that despite losing, Herring and his squad were able to get comfortable.
If putting too much focus on blitzing becomes problematic—aka, the Pirates are able to release the ball quickly in space and create opportunities by racking up yards after catch, the Tar Heels need to lay off the line and focus on defending the zones in which Herring is creating plays, which will mostly be out of the flats.
But priority No. 1 needs to be make Herring uncomfortable, and all adjustments can be made from that foundation.
East Carolina Pirates
It’s true that the Tar Heels have struggled on the road in recent history, but the same can be said about these Pirates at home.
In their last eight home games, East Carolina has dropped six. That’s a huge problem for anyone looking to gain respectability in their conference.
Against the Tar Heels, Herring doesn’t need to necessarily throw the ball less, but hooboy does he need to be more accurate. At 37-for-65, the QB threw for two touchdowns but also two interceptions.
Short passes for long gains will be crucial if North Carolina does in fact put pressure up the middle.
NCAA Football Handicapping Trends
- UNC are 7-3-1 ATS in their last 11 road games.
- Under is 7-3 in UNC last 10 games overall.
- Under is 7-3 in UNC last 10 road games
- ECU are 1-7 ATS in their last 8 games in September.
- ECU are 2-7-1 ATS in their last 10 home games.
- ECU are 7-2 ATS in their last 9 vs. ACC.
- UNC are 6-2 ATS in their last 8 meetings.
Free Week 2 NCAA Football Pick
Both teams have reason to come out and put an end to bad trends. But it’s the Tar Heels who realize their season can quickly gain some momentum, as it was really just a few key plays in the second half away from taking down the Golden Bears of the Pac-12.
4* Free NCAA Betting Pick: North Carolina ATS
The Tar Heels should get the win straight up in this one, but it should also be able to cover.
Week 2 Free Score Prediction: North Carolina Tar Heels 40 – East Carolina 20
If you’re looking for more picks like this East Carolina vs. North Carolina matchup we’ll be providing 4* free College football game predictions on the blog all bowl season long, and check out our Experts for guaranteed premium & free CFB Football picks!
Check out our Updated College Football Betting Odds.
Similar Free 4* Sports Predictions:
- North Carolina Tar Heels vs. Virginia Tech Hokies – 10/19/2019 Free Pick & CFB Betting Prediction
- East Carolina Pirates vs. UCF Knights – 10/19/2019 Free Pick & CFB Betting Prediction
- Coastal Carolina Chanticleers vs. Georgia Southern Eagles – 10/19/2019 Free Pick & CFB Betting Prediction
- Indiana Hoosiers vs. Nebraska Cornhuskers – 10/26/2019 Free Pick & CFB Betting Prediction
- Kansas Jayhawks vs. Texas Longhorns – 10/19/19 Free Pick & CFB Betting Prediction
- Rice Owls vs. UTSA Roadrunners – 10/19/2019 Free Pick & CFB Betting Prediction
- Missouri Tigers vs. Vanderbilt Commodores – 10/19/2019 Free Pick & CFB Betting Prediction
- Buffalo Bulls vs. Akron Zips – 10/19/2019 Free Pick & CFB Betting Prediction