2016 Football Preview – SEC – Mississippi State Bulldogs
Looking for 2016 Mississippi State Bulldogs predictions? In what is arguably the toughest division in the CFB, the Bulldogs get set for battle in the SEC West. Mississippi State has a lot of returning pieces, but do they have enough weapons to compete with the top teams?
NCAA Football Gambling Lines
Mississippi State Bulldogs
2015/16 Record: 9-4
Head Coach: Dan Mullen
Odds to win SEC: 75/1
Odds to win National Championship: 300/1
Win Total: 7.5
Updated Sportsbook Bonuses For Today
***More 2016 NCAA Football Team Season Previews***
Mississippi State Bulldogs Handicapping
Last season, teams didn’t look forward to dealing with the Mississippi State Bulldogs.
However, the opposition’s reasoning is now suiting up for the Dallas Cowboys. Mississippi State lost their key piece in Dak Prescott and will have to find some stability at the QB position.
Still, the Bulldogs have plenty of returning talent to work with. Do they have enough to compete?
Let’s break it down.
2016 Mississippi State Bulldogs Predictions: Team Strengths
Just A Formality
While Mississippi State will endure their 3rd defensive coordinator in as many seasons, there isn’t much too be concerned about.
Peter Sirmon brings the 3-4 style to the Bulldogs, but he doesn’t have much changing to implement.
The Bulldogs return 8 of top 10 tacklers to their defense. Two of those are Nick James and Nelson Adams. The duo both sit 300 plus pounds and can eat up the opposing defenses rush attempts.
Mississippi State did lose their top secondary pieces, but that is no reason for concern. This defense is deep in depth and may even have more talent with their safeties and corners.
2016 Mississippi State Bulldogs Predictions: Team Weaknesses
Life After Dak
Dak Prescott was a machine last season. He was a leading rusher in the nation and threw for 3800 yards while compiling 29 touchdowns.
While there is a lot of questions surrounding who will take the job full time, Nick Fitzgerald will certainly get the upper edge.
While Fitzgerald doesn’t have much experience, he does have the same running quality as Prescott does.
It will be an interesting sight to see how they use him and how often they get Fitzgerald out of the pocket, giving him multiple options.
Who’s Got Your Back(s)
Last season, the run game was centered around Dak Prescott. He was always the number one option and instead of a straight run, the Bulldogs would allow Prescott to roll the pocket to give him his choice to run or pass.
With him gone, the Bulldogs do have Brandon Holloway and Josh Robinson to work with this season. The duo hasn’t been asked to do a lot, but this season will be a giant exception.
With a lot of questions surrounding their explosiveness and ability to make an impact play, the run game will be a giant question mark.
2016 Mississippi State Bulldogs Predictions
This team has a lot of questions heading into this season.
You can’t replace Dak Prescott, nor put anybody close to his ability in the backfield. However, it’s time to move on and Fitzgerald will have a pair of backs to work with to start the season.
The one thing this team does have to build off of is their defense. With so many returning starters and a solidified defensive coordinator, this is going to be a fun defense to watch that does have the ability to make up for the offensive slack, should there be any.
With a tough conference, this is going to be a tough season for the Bulldogs.
Record Prediction: 4-8
2016 Mississippi State Bulldogs Football Schedule
- Saturday Sep. 3 Jaguars South Alabama Jaguars Davis Wade Stadium, Starkville, MS 11:00am CT SECN
- Saturday Sep. 10 Gamecocks South Carolina Gamecocks Davis Wade Stadium, Starkville, MS 6:00pm CT ESPN/ESPN2
- Saturday Sep. 17 Tigers at LSU Tigers Tiger Stadium, Baton Rouge, LA 6:00pm CT ESPN/ESPN2
- Saturday Sep. 24 Minutemen at UMass Minutemen Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, MA TBA
- Saturday Oct. 1 OFF
- Saturday Oct. 8 Tigers Auburn Tigers Davis Wade Stadium, Starkville, MS TBA
- Friday Oct. 14 Cougars at BYU Cougars LaVell Edwards Stadium, Provo, UT 9:15pm CT ESPN
- Saturday Oct. 22 Wildcats at Kentucky Wildcats Commonwealth Stadium, Lexington, KY TBA
- Saturday Oct. 29 Bulldogs Samford Bulldogs Davis Wade Stadium, Starkville, MS TBA
- Saturday Nov. 5 Aggies Texas A&M Aggies Davis Wade Stadium, Starkville, MS TBA
- Saturday Nov. 12 Crimson Tide at Alabama Crimson Tide Bryant-Denny Stadium, Tuscaloosa, AL TBA
- Saturday Nov. 19 Razorbacks Arkansas Razorbacks Davis Wade Stadium, Starkville, MS TBA
- Saturday Nov. 26 Rebels at Ole Miss Rebels Vaught-Hemingway Stadium, Oxford, MS TBA
What do you think about our 2016 Mississippi State Bulldogs predictions? Please leave us a comment below telling us how you think they’ll do in 2016!
The 2016 College futures betting season is here in full force! If you like to bet on NCAA football, you are in the best possible place for online betting. CappersPicks.com has NCAAF odds up on a ton of futures, and you will also find College football lines up for early games as well.
Check out our Updated College Football Betting Odds.