Dave B’s MLB Power Ratings – Aug 6
The trade deadline has come and gone and as per usual the rich have gotten richer and the poor have gotten poorer. For the first time this season the American League has given way to a pair on National League teams atop the standings.
Hard to believe – I know! The dog days loom in what should be a very intriguing second half of the MLB season.
So, without further adieu, let’s take a look at Dave B’s post-deadline version of the MLB Power Rankings.
1. Cincinnati Reds (4) – The Reds have surged to the best record in baseball on the heels of an 8-2 run – incredible! They are 16-4 in their last 10 games and unquestionably the hottest team in baseball. With the addition of Jonathan Broxton to the bullpen and with the impending return of Joey Votto from knee surgery, the Reds have reached the pinnacle of the power rankings.
2. Washington Nationals (3) – The Nats didn’t make a huge splash at the deadline but they did add the very solid Kurt Suzuki. Steven Strasburg looks to have rebounded from his poor outing and once again anchors a very good staff.
3. New York Yankees (1) – The Yanks are just 5-5 in their last 10 games but they still have the best record in the AL. As they get healthier expect the Yankees to ascend again.
4. Texas Rangers (2) – The Rangers are also 5-5 in their last 10 games but the addition of Ryan Dempster to their staff makes a great team even better. There are some players slumping for the Rangers however – wake up Josh Hamilton!
5. Atlanta Braves (7) – Have gone 8-2 in their last 10 games and remain just three games behind Washington. They are a complete team and comfortably sit in a Wild Card spot.
6. Pittsburgh Pirates (5) – added Wandy Rodriguez and Travis Snider to a team that has shown no signs of slowing down. Andrew McCutchen is the MVP so far and AJ Burnett is unquestionably the bounce back player of the year.
7. Chicago White Sox (12) – have gone 7-3 in their last 10 games and have created a little room between them and the Tigers. Chris Sale will return from injury to a pitching staff that added Francisco Liriano and Brett Myers at the deadline. Look out for Chicago – they are a serious threat in the AL.
8. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (9) – had a bit of a rough road trip in Texas and Chicago and have gone 4-6 in their last 10 games. But the addition of Zach Greinke looks unfair doesn’t it? It wouldn’t be a shock to see the Angels challenge for the World Series this year.
9. San Francisco Giants (6) – The Giants have gone just 4-6 in their last 10 but they still lead the NL West and are 10 games over .500. The addition of Hunter Pence fills a major hole on the team – offense!
10. Los Angeles Dodgers (8) – The Dodgers certainly didn’t stand pat at the deadline adding Hanley Ramirez, Shane Victorino, Brandon League, Randy Choate and Joe Blanton. LA is serious about winning this year and is only a half game out of their division lead.
11. Oakland Athletics (14) – hangin’ tough – they are a nice story aren’t they?
12. St. Louis Cardinals (13) – The Cards are somehow just 2 1/2 games out of the Wild Card in the NL. They are 7-3 in their last 10 games thanks to guys like Kyle Lohse who is shockingly 12-2 on the season.
13. Detroit Tigers (10) – have won four straight after a brutal stretch and added a few pieces to their offense at the break. Doug Fister is coming around as a great second starter to Stud Justin Verlander.
14. Baltimore Orioles (11) – The Orioles just keep hanging around! They have gone 6-4 in their last 10 and are still in second in the AL East. I have no other words!
15. Tampa Bay Rays (15) – We are still waiting for the Rays to move ahead of the other Wild card contenders. The impending return of Evan Longoria should help immensely.
16. Arizona Diamondbacks (21)
17. Toronto Blue Jays (16)
18. Boston Red Sox (18)
19. Cleveland Indians (17)
20. New York Mets (19)
21. Miami Marlins (20)
22. Seattle Mariners (26)
23. Philadelphia Phillies (22)
24. Milwaukee Brewers (23)
25. Minnesota Twins (27)
26. Kansas City Royals (24)
27. San Diego Padres (25)
28. Chicago Cubs (28)
29. Colorado Rockies (29)
30. Houston Astros (30)
Another MLB gambling season. It’s time to NOW bring your best baseball betting hat to the table for gambling on baseball. Cappers Picks all season long provides MLB baseball gambling predictions, so check back often.