Dave B’s MLB Power Rankings – May 16th
Two weeks have passed since my last Power Rankings and surprisingly the teams at the top and the bottom have remained right there. In the middle of the Rankings there has been some movement – predictably the cream is remaining on top while the sludge has continued to occupy the bottom.
Without further adieu, let’s take a look at Dave B’s bi-weekly look at the MLB Power Rankings.
1. Texas Rangers (1) – The Rangers just keep getting it done. When the pitching struggles in the slightest that amazing order picks up the slack. This team is the deepest and most complete in the Majors and a worthy #1 again this week.
2. Los Angeles Dodgers (2) – The Dodgers have won four straight games and are really a 1B in the Rankings. Matt Kemp has finally cooled slightly but it doesn’t seem to be hurting the team all that much.
3. Baltimore Orioles (4) – The Orioles continue to lead the AL East and are coming off a near-sweep of the Rays. This can’t last can it?
4. Atlanta Braves (5) – The lead the NL East and are coming off a very impressive weekend versus the Cardinals. The Braves have everything going at the moment and are posed to climb higher with a stretch of long-awaited home games on the horizon.
5. Tampa Bay Rays (6) – still have James Shields, David Price, Jeremy Hellickson, Jeff Niemann and Matt Moore throwing for them. They are only 5-5 in their last 10 games and have incurred a few injuries along the way. Despite all of that, the Rays are still 2nd in the AL East and their record is top 5 in baseball.
6. St. Louis Cardinals (3) – The Cards are just 4-6 in their last 10 games and they were schooled by the Braves on the weekend. But with a good mix of pitching and offense, the Cards look good going forward.
7. New York Yankees (7) – Injuries to Michael Pineda and Mariano Rivera certainly hurt but this is the New York Yankees we are talking about. Andy Petite is back and Phil Hughes may just be realizing his potential. And of course the offense is still insanely talented.
8. Washington Nationals (8) – The Nationals are legit! It’s a good thing for Bryce Harper with the injury to Jason Werth but as long as the pitching remains strong, the Nationals could be the surprise team of the NL this year.
9. Toronto Blue Jays (9) – The Jays have one of the better starting rotations in the majors at present but are still missing some clutch hitting from some key members of the batting order. The next could of weeks are tough for the Jays – it will be interesting to see how they emerge.
10. New York Mets (10) – The Mets keep hanging around the top 10. How? Exciting play and a never quit attitude. Despite being the poor cousin to the Yankees, the Mets are equally deserving of a top 10 spot in the Rankings.
11. Cleveland Indians (11) – sit atop the AL Central but are just are just 8-10 at home on the season and are coming off three straight losses to Red Sox. Because they lead their Division they are #11 – no other reason!
13. Cincinnati Reds (13) – the Reds appear prime for a bit of a run – the pitching has been better and Joey Votto is absolutely on fire!
14. Detroit Tigers (15) – Detroit is a much better team than their .500 record indicates. They have the pitching and they have the talent in the batting order – now it’s time to put it all together.
15. Oakland Athletics (21) – Hard to believe I know but the A’s are the second best team in the AL (if you take out all the teams in the AL East). The team competes night in and night out and is a very pleasant early season surprise.
16. San Francisco Giants (12)
17. Chicago White Sox (16)
18. Philadelphia Phillies (17)
19. Milwaukee Brewers (19)
20. Houston Astros (25)
21. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (24)
22. Boston Red Sox (18)
23. Seattle Mariners (22)
24. Arizona Diamondbacks (14)
25. Pittsburgh Pirates (23)
26. Colorado Rockies (20)
27. Chicago Cubs (27)
28. Kansas City Royals (28)
29. San Diego Padres (29)
30. Minnesota Twins (30)
Another MLB gambling season. It’s time to NOW bring your best baseball betting hat to the table for gambling on baseball. Cappers Picks all season long provides MLB baseball gambling predictions, so check back often.