December 30, 2016 at 2:19 PM #101386
NFL Power Rankings Week 17
Week 16 of the NFL season is in the books – it was a devastating one for a couple of AFC hopefuls – both the Raiders and the Titans lost their Stud QBs to broken legs – yikes! There was quite a bit of movement in the Rankings this week because of that. Oakland and Tennessee fall as do the disappointing Seahawks while the Chiefs and Steelers climb into the top 5 thanks to terrific showings on Christmas Day. Hey – did you hear that Cleveland won?????? Yay!
So with so much on the line where does your favorite stand heading into Week 17? Let’s take a look in Dave B’s Week 17 NFL Power Rankings.
1. New England Patriots (13-2) – Last Week: 1
The Patriots did absolutely nothing to knock them out of the #1 spot this week – they annihilated the Jets in New Jersey – and Tom Brady was taken out of the game before the third quarter ended! The offense did whatever it wanted and the defense proved once again that they are as legit as any team in the AFC. Ho-hum – the Pats are #1!
2. Dallas Cowboys (13-2) – Last Week: 2
The Cowboys remain more like a 1B team rather than a #2 team in the Rankings. This team has done virtually nothing wrong all season. The Dak/Zeke combo was remarkable again Monday night and the re-emergence of Dez Bryant has this team looking like a serious threat to win it all. Dallas is the definition of TEAM right now – as impressive as they come.
3. Kansas City Chiefs (11-4) – Last Week: 8
The Chiefs were mighty impressive Christmas Day – they destroyed the Broncos in every aspect of the game. They are now in a position to win their division (if the Raiders lose) and gain a first round bye. The Chiefs defense has been better than advertised and the offense more balanced than we could have imagined – how about 484 yards of offense Sunday night against the best defense in the game? Travis Kelce has become the game-changer that this team has longed for!
4. Pittsburgh Steelers (10-5) – Last Week: 6
The Steelers are legit – the biggest threat to the Patriots in the AFC for my money! This team can score with anybody and the defense has really overachieved considering the youth on that side of the ball. With weapons like Big Ben, Antonio Brown and Le’Veon Bell it is hard to believe that this team lost four straight earlier this year. The Steelers have Cleveland in their Regular Season finale – expect more fireworks on offense.
5. Atlanta Falcons (10-5) – Last Week: 7
The Falcons just keep on rolling – it seems that there is no team out there that will be able to slow this offense – the defense recorded two sacks and two interceptions Saturday as well. A first round bye is within their grasp thanks to their impressive win over an improving Carolina team and a loss by Seattle. Nobody seems to be paying much attention to Atlanta right now even though they are looking mighty dangerous.
6. Oakland Raiders (12-3) – Last Week: 3
The Raiders won again Saturday against a pretty good Colts team – so why the drop in the Rankings? The loss of Derek Carr to a fractured fibula takes this team from serious contender to a major pretender – period! The loss of their MVP candidate is a virtual death blow to this team.
7. Green Bay Packers (9-6) – Last Week: 10
The Packers have now won five straight games after their Week 16 win against the Vikings. It doesn’t look like Aaron Rodgers’ injury will be an issue – he threw for 347 yards and 4 TDs in Week 16 and also ran for a score. Green Bay’s defense recorded five sacks and they forced a fumble Saturday which is a very, very nice surprise. The Packers could win the Division with a win next week against Detroit and as the hottest team in the NFC I like their chances.
8. Seattle Seahawks (9-5-1) – Last Week: 4
Which Seattle team can we expect heading into the playoffs? I mean – seriously! I guess if their kicker would have made an extra point at the end of the game we wouldn’t be worried about Seattle! The O-line has been shaky all season long and they hit a low Saturday and the running game was virtually non-existent – all major concerns for this club. At least they still have Russell Wilson who threw for 350 yards and 4 TDs!
9. New York Giants (10-5) – Last Week: 5
The Giants laid a bit of an egg on Thursday night – Eli Manning’s poor play finally caught up with the team. Manning threw three costly interceptions against Philadelphia and the defense was surprisingly average in that game. New York absolutely needs an elite effort from the defense – it appears that the running game won’t be a factor and that Eli is just too unreliable to depend on down the stretch.
10. Detroit Lions (9-6) – Last Week: 9
The Lions have played two playoff teams the last two weeks and have failed miserably in both contests. The clock may have struck midnight on this team making them the average squad we all knew they were. Detroit still has a chance to wrap up the division next week at Lambeau but not many love their chances.
11. Miami Dolphins (10-5) – Last Week: 14
I admit – I haven’t been giving the Fins enough love this season but it’s time! This team went on the road with a backup QB and beat a pretty good Bills team on Saturday thanks to Jay Ajayi who went off for 206 yards and a TD on 32 carries. Miami has a pretty good formula for success right now – decent defense and a running back that will punish the opposition.
12. Washington Redskins (8-6-1) – Last Week: 16
Washington absolutely manhandled an improving Chicago team on Saturday – Kirk Cousins continues to impress with a passing TD and two rushing scores and the defense played very well – intercepting FIVE Matt Barkley times. Washington is still alive and is still a dirty dozen team because of it!
13. Houston Texans (9-6) – Last Week: 18
14. Baltimore Ravens (8-7) – Last Week: 12
15. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (8-7) – Last Week: 11
16. Tennessee Titans (8-7) – Last Week: 13
17. Denver Broncos (8-7) – Last Week: 15
18. Arizona Cardinals (6-8-1) – Last Week: 24
19. New Orleans Saints (7-8) – Last Week: 22
20. Buffalo Bills (7-8) – Last Week: 17
21. Indianapolis Colts (7-8) – Last Week: 20
22. Minnesota Vikings (7-8) – Last Week: 21
23. Philadelphia Eagles (6-9) – Last Week: 25
24. Carolina Panthers (6-9) – Last Week: 19
25. Cincinnati Bengals (5-9-1) – Last Week: 26
26. San Diego Chargers (5-10) – Last Week: 23
27. Chicago Bears (3-12) – Last Week: 27
28. New York Jets (4-11) – Last Week: 28
29. Jacksonville Jaguars (3-12) – Last Week: 30
30. San Francisco 49ers (2-13) – Last Week: 31
31. Los Angeles Rams (4-11) – Last Week: 29
32. Cleveland Browns (1-14) – Last Week: 32
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.