NCAAF: TIGHT ORANGE BOWL ODDS
Oddsmakers predict a tight contest when the Virginia Tech Hokies meet the Cincinnati Bearcats in the Orange Bowl.
The Bearcats are 2 ½-point favorites and 57% of bettors are backing them.
ACC champ Virginia Tech is a familiar name to the BCS. Big East champ Cincinnati is a first time participant. In fact, the Bearcats have never even played a BCS-Conference opponent in a bowl game before. Will that be the difference in Thursday’s Orange Bowl?
Even in the middle of November, nobody could have foreseen this as an Orange Bowl encounter. What each team proved down the stretch was how resilient they were and seized the opportunity when presented with it to be conference champs.
Cincinnati arrives in South Florida as the more impressive team, with balance on both sides of the ball. The Bearcats are 14-4 ATS versus defensive teams permitting 285 or less YPG.
Don’t sell Virginia Tech short though with the 7th ranked defense and an offense with almost a month to improve. The Hokies are 12-2 ATS off an upset win as an underdog. This is an important game for the ACC’s reputation, as they have lost eight straight BCS games and are 2-6 against the spread.
Orange Bowl underdogs are 3-2 straight-up and 4-1 ATS in the last five installments. The ACC has struggled as a conference, going 1-6 straight up and ATS in its last seven early January trips to Miami.
Top ATS Trend
• CINCINNATI is 14-4 ATS (+9.6 Units) versus excellent defensive teams – allowing <=285 yards/game since 1992. The average score was CINCINNATI 21.0, OPPONENT 21.2 – (Rating = 1*)
Top Totals Trend
• CINCINNATI is 18-6 UNDER (+11.4 Units) after a game where they committed 3 or more turnovers since 1992. The average score was CINCINNATI 23.4, OPPONENT 24.1 – (Rating = 1*)
Recent Virginia Tech Bowl Game Trends
* Underdogs are on a run of 5-1 ATS in Virginia Tech bowl games.
* Virginia Tech is 1-4 ATS as a bowl game dog or pickem since 1996.
* In bowl games with Totals less than 50, Virginia Tech is 7-2 Over.
Recent Cincinnati Bowl Game Trends
* Cincinnati has never played a BCS-conference team in a bowl game.
* Cincinnati is just 2-5 ATS in its last seven bowl games.
* The Under is on a 5-1 run in Cincinnati bowl game totals.