Dave B’s MLB Power Rankings – Sept 3
We are into the last month of the 2012 MLB Regular Season – the cream has really started to rise to the top. While the American League teams have started to bunch up a tad the National League seems to be devoid of any sort of September pennant race.
The Rankings have been as fluid as they have been all season long – change is certainly the name of the Rankings game this week.
So without further adieu let`s take a look at Dave B’s bi-weekly version of the MLB Power Rankings.
1. Cincinnati Reds (1) – The Reds have opened up a 9.5 game lead in their division and are at the very top of the MLB standings and Joey Votto is about to return to the lineup after an extended absence. Realistically, the Reds should stay near the top the rest of the way!
2. Texas Rangers (4) – The Rangers have gone 7-3 in their last 10 games but they can feel Oakland breathing down their necks. Adrian Beltre has been their difference maker and he is not even the best hitter on the team!
3. Washington Nationals (2) – Not sure what to make of the Nationals going forward. For now they have the best record in baseball and hold a 6.5 game lead in the East over the Braves. Yes, they still belong in the Top 3!
4. New York Yankees (3) – The Yanks have hit the skids a little bit – 4-6 in their last 10 games. They all of a sudden have Baltimore and Tampa on their heels but they still have the second best record in the AL.
5. Baltimore Orioles (14) – The Orioles won’t go away! They have climbed to within 2 games of the AL East lead thanks to the best record in baseball during the month of August. They added a couple of pieces in the form of Joe Saunders and Randy Wolf – they make a good team a tad better!
6. Atlanta Braves (5) – Have hit the skids indeed – 4-6 in their last 10 games but they still have the Wild Card firmly in their sights.
7. San Francisco Giants (9) – The Giants lost their MVP Melky Cabrera for 50 games due to suspension but have reeled off a 7-3 record since that time! They now lead the re-tooled Dodgers by 4.5 games and are definitely deserving of a Top 10 spot.
8. Oakland Athletics (11) – #8 may be a bit low based on their 9-1 record in their last 10 games. They have closed to within 3 games of Texas thanks to Josh Reddick and some strong pitching.
9. Tampa Bay Rays (15) – The Rays have climbed despite a 4-6 record in their last 10 games. The offense has been awful but the pitching barely keeps them in the Top 10.
10. Los Angeles Dodgers (10) – The Dodgers look like a force on paper with the additions of Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett and Carl Crawford but it hasn’t translated yet on the field. My bet is that LA will be in the Wild Card hunt with their moves and they should be a fixture in the top third of the Rankings the rest of the way.
11. Detroit Tigers (13) – The Tigers have caught the White Sox and a look at the roster reveals that they have a better overall lineup than Chicago. Detroit is better than their #11 Ranking – time to prove it down the stretch.
13. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (8) – have been playing well – 7-3 in their last 10 games but unfortunately for them it may have come too late. You gotta love Mike Trout!
14. St. Louis Cardinals (12) – The Cards are peaking at the right time and are suddenly staring down a Wild Card spot. St. Louis may be the most dangerous underdog team on the Rankings.
15. Pittsburgh Pirates (6) – Free falling but are still playing meaningful games in September – when is the last time you could say that about this team?
16. Arizona Diamondbacks (16)
17. Seattle Mariners (22)
18. Boston Red Sox (18)
19. Philadelphia Phillies (23)
20. New York Mets (20)
21. Milwaukee Brewers (24)
22. Toronto Blue Jays (18)
23. Miami Marlins (21)
24. Cleveland Indians (19)
25. Kansas City Royals (26)
26. San Diego Padres (27)
27. Minnesota Twins (25)
28. Colorado Rockies (29)
29. Chicago Cubs (28)
30. Houston Astros (30)
Another MLB gambling season. It’s time to NOW bring your best baseball betting hat to the table for gambling on baseball. Cappers Picks all season long provides MLB baseball gambling predictions, so check back often.